Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Accessioning Clerk Per-Diem
at Bristol Hospital
Responsible for performing a wide variety of clerical duties and administrative support for the laboratory. Accessions, unsupervised, all laboratory specimens and those sent to reference labs via the central processing process. Performs specimen receipt, centrifugation, distribution and sample preparation. Provides quality, customer service in a timely and courteous manner. Performs patient registration and insures proper handling and distribution of specimens throughout the laboratory.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
• Routinely completes assigned work on time. Completes STAT requests within defined turnaround times.
• Verifies that the appropriate specimen has been received for the test requested. Maintains integrity of the specimen.
• Provides quality Customer Service in a timely and courteous manner.
• Check inventory and rotate supplies; restock supplies when necessary.
• Confirms all patients’ demographics using departmental guidelines and updates for appropriate accessioning in the computer system.
• Recognizes limitations/resourcefulness of their competency within the realm of the job description.
• Effectively interacts with Laboratory personnel from all departments to resolve routine issues.
• Demonstrates appropriate use of the LIS system to complete assigned tasks.
• Maintains a safe work environment in the laboratory by meeting all regulatory standards and following Universal Precaution.
• Presents to the department prepared to work in a timely fashion according to scheduled hours.
• Performs additional tasks/assignments/projects to benefit the organization.
• Keeps an orderly work area.
• Adheres to the Laboratory dress code policy.
Assures quality control
• Prepares standard solutions and reagents and maintains Laboratory equipment in good working order.
• Carries out all activities following established procedures to assure attainment of quality control standards. Complies with all safety and related rules/regulations.
Performs related duties
• In absence of Supervisor, or as assigned, assumes responsibility for section activities.
• Performs additional related duties as assigned.
• Troubleshoots technical problems involving chemicals and equipment.
Educational / Minimum requirements:
High School diploma or High School Equivalency Required.
Bristol Hospital Mandated Educational Requirements:
General orientation at time of hire. Fire/Safety/Infection Control annually. Other programs as mandated by Hospital.
Strong interpersonal skills. Adaptability and flexibility necessary for work schedule and patient care requirements. Data entry, computer knowledge, customer service skills are required. Good command of the English language, computer skills and medical terminology, ICD-9 coding, medical office/ hospital experience desired. Strong attention to detail is needed as well.
Walking, standing, sitting, bending required. Must work under the stress of time constraints and heavy workload demands requiring accuracy. Position requires ability to constantly lift light objects less than 20 lbs., perform moderately difficult manipulative skills, arm-hand steadiness, and hand-eye coordination skills; walk, stand and sit for prolonged periods; see objects closely and hear normal sounds with some background noises.
Employee may frequently be exposed to blood, body tissues and/or fluids and hazardous waste materials. Proper PPE is supplied by the employer.
Position requires ability to concentrate on moderate detail with constant interruption and attend to tasks for more than 60 minutes at a time. Individual must be able to understand and relate to the concept behind specific ideas and remember multiple tasks given to self and others over long periods of time, able to communicate verbally, using advanced level vocabulary.
Conditions of Employment
• In adherence with our safety and compliance regulations, upon hire you are subject to a criminal background check and health clearance (including drug testing) through Occupational Health.
• The health and safety of our patients and employees is a top priority which is why we have mandatory flu shots. Exceptions for medical and religious reasons will be evaluated on an individual basis.
• Please be aware all Bristol Hospital and Health Care Group facilities are smoke and tobacco free.
Equal Employment Opportunity
• In keeping with our goals of individual recognition and treatment characterized by dignity and respect, we extend hiring and promotional opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of race, color, religious creed, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, military or veteran status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
• Our policy is to make reasonable accommodation to the limitations of qualified disabled individuals and to provide them with employment opportunities to the extent practical without incurring undue hardship.