Dairy Farmers of America, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Dairy Farmers of America, inc.
Job TitleAmmonia Technician
LocationNew Britain, Connecticut
Ensure the smooth daily function of the ammonia engine room and complete system. Ensure all preventative maintenance, work orders and repairs to equipment are complete to the area assigned. Also included are glycol systems, condensers, heat exchangers, boilers, air compressor, wastewater treatment system, and related equipment. Assist with implementation and development of continuous improvement ideas. Key components of the position will also include safety practices and facilitation of teamwork and perform tasks intended for maximizing asset reliability, availability, and maximum efficiency specifically related to plant utility systems.
- Ensure the safe and appropriate operation of the plant utility equipment. Systems and equipment groups include but are not limited to, steam, anhydrous ammonia refrigeration, wastewater treatment, and compressed air system
- Assist in performing work on production/processing machinery and other mechanical equipment to buildings as needed
- Calibrate all equipment and instruments as assigned
- Execute work orders on time as assigned by planner/scheduler, Maintenance Manager or other members of management as assigned in proper priority
- Troubleshoot, repair and perform preventative maintenance on all equipment in accordance with applicable Federal, State and Local regulations
- Lift heavy objects, paint, and clean
- Maintain daily log and shift-to-shift handoff
- Participate in cost reduction/continuous improvement activities
- Perform all duties safely, following all safety programs, to prevent injuries to self and others. Report all injuries and property loss incidents, including spills; actively participate in team safety efforts
- Follow all sanitation and quality SOP's to ensure all equipment is clean and ready for production. Ensure housekeeping of utilities areas are "tour ready" at all times
- Follow Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), HACCP guidelines and SQF requirements
- The requirements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employee, but is not a complete list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. Other duties may be assigned as required.
Required Education and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Maintenance/operator experience with ammonia systems and boiler systems
- Experience operating under PSM/RMP guidelines
- Must be Ammonia Operator 1 trained (or have ability to be certified within 12 months)
- Must be able to interpret drawings (P&ID's), read, write, and communicate clearly in English
- Able to track data in computer-based management software for ammonia and wastewater record keeping
- Grounds and facility maintenance experience preferred
- Certification and/or license -- ammonia operator certification as required
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good mechanical aptitude
- Strong ability to learn complex physics of large ammonia refrigeration system
- Able to work independently or in a team environment
- Knowledge of and ability to learn personal computers and software
- Must have positive attitude and good leadership, interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to efficiently operate an ammonia plant
- LEAN Manufacturing -- Contribute to a continuous improvement environment by participating in activities to include line side problem solving
- Able to read, write, and speak English