The American Red Cross
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Technologist I (Blood Bank)- Evening or Overnight
at The American Red Cross
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We provide about 50% of the nation’s blood supply as well as humanitarian relief at home and abroad. We save lives every day. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
Come bring your ASCP Clinical Lab Scientist (CLS) or Medical Technologist (MT) license and passion for blood banking to support the life-saving mission of the American Red Cross Blood Services. We are looking for a full-time Medical Technologists to work in our Farmington, CT office performing specialized testing & blood bank services to serve our local hospital clients. Available schedule options include evenings Monday-Friday or overnights Sunday-Thursday. Overnight weekend rotation required & on-call duties as assigned.
As a Medical Technologist, you will perform basic and intermediate donor and patient tests & interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility.
Primary job responsibilities may include:
• Resolving compatibility problems
• Providing basic reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services
• Performing automated and manual test procedures on blood samples
Other Medical Technologist duties may include:
• May consult and communicate with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve serologic problems and provide special units to transfusion recipients.
• Perform duties associated with supply and reagent management, to include ordering, receiving, inspection, preparation, and quality control of supplies and reagents.
• Perform duties associated with receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples.
• Perform and interpret basic and intermediate donor and/or patient testing procedures, guided complex serologic problem resolution, and complete required quality control, as appropriate to state and federal regulations.
• Recognize testing irregularities, identify the cause, determine the solution and resolve the problem or refers it to the appropriate level. May perform special testing.
• Perform inventory management, coordination and shipment duties associated with donor product inventory including the maintenance of the exceptional and rare donor products.
• Performs labeling and verification of blood products.
• May perform manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable.
• May assist with the maintenance and repair of laboratory equipment and software maintenance.
• May perform duties associated with document management.
• Maintain, edit and review computer and manual records to assure accurate record keeping. Maintain accurate, legible and complete records.
• Adhere to procedures and good manufacturing practices (GMP).
• May perform internal staff training and/or competency reviews, if applicable. May perform external customer education.
• Perform other related duties as necessary.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of staff so classified.
• MT(ASCP) or BB(ASCP) /equivalent, bachelor's degree with major in biological science or chemistry plus 3 years of blood banking experience, or MLT (ASCP) certification plus 5 years of laboratory experience required. MT (ASCP) and/or BB (ASCP) or equivalent desired. State license may be required where applicable.
• Good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers. Computer skills. Must be able to work independently and demonstrate independent problem-solving skills.
• Available schedule: Full-time; 37.5/wk; Regular weekly schedule options include evenings Monday-Friday or overnights Sunday-Thursday. Overnight weekend rotation required & on-call duties as assigned.
As part of the world’s largest humanitarian network, the American Red Cross places top priority on the health and safety of our employees, volunteers, blood donors, and those who receive our aid and services. Our commitment to public health is unwavering—both during the COVID-19 pandemic and year-round.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs.
At the American Red Cross, you will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services. We need people who want to contribute their individual talents to help their neighbors locally, across the country, and around the world. Whether you’re a recent graduate or an experienced professional, if you share our passion for helping people, join us in for a rewarding and challenging career opportunity that support our mission.