Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Patent Attorney, CPG
United States-Connecticut-Trumbull-Trumbull -40 Merritt Blvd
A better business. A better world. A better you. At Unilever you are more than your job title, you are part of the world’s most successful, purpose-led business. Work with brands that are well-loved around the world, that improve the lives of our consumers and the communities around us. We produce world-leading brands including Lipton, Knorr, Dove, Axe, Hellmann’s and, alongside trusted local names and innovative-forward thinking brands like Ben & Jerry’s, The Dollar Shave Club and Dermalogica.
At Unilever, we act fast to anticipate consumer needs, fast to translate ideas into new products, and fast to make, distribute and market them. We create products that people enjoy, trust and use as part of their daily lives. Which is why, as part of Unilever, you could make an impact on a global and local scale. We look for people with different views, ideas, experiences and backgrounds to bring dynamism to the business and, most importantly, an empathy with consumers. It's those individuals working together that make Unilever one of the most successful consumer goods companies in the world. Individuals with the courage to be heard, seize opportunities and take risks. A job at Unilever is a career made by you, with development opportunities, benefits and a working culture that embraces diversity. You can shape your own path as you work with the brands and people that drive our sustainable business growth. As an Patent Attorney, you will partner with the business to ensure growth and to enable the business to meet its' financial goals, proactively lead efforts to identify opportunities and implement solutions to enhance the financial performance of the business.
Unilever’s Sustainable Living Plan (USLP) commits to:
- Decoupling growth from environmental impact.
- Helping more than a billion people take action to improve their health and well-being.
- Enhancing the livelihoods of millions of people by 2020.
For more information about Unilever and its brands, please visit www.unilever.com. For more information on the USLP: www.unilever.com/sustainable-living/
Background & Purpose of the Job
Seeking a creative and highly motivated Patent Lawyer with a strong background in the chemical/biochemical arts and intellectual property, but interest and experience across a broader range of legal areas. You will work cross-functionally with scientists and business professionals and assist with issues to advance intellectual property efforts and collaboration opportunities. This is an outstanding opportunity to join one of the world’s top consumer product companies.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
- Lead development and implementation of intellectual property strategies, including drafting and prosecution for worldwide protection
- Provide advice regarding complex transactions to ensure alignment with business strategy and to secure maximum rights for the company
- Work closely with internal R&D and Business Development to offer advice and counsel regarding a variety of intellectual property issues, including the creation and protection of intellectual property arising from the company’s in-house research efforts and/or acquisitions and third party collaborations
- Conduct freedom to operate opinions, analyze third party patents for validity and prepare patentability assessments and competitive patent intelligence reviews
- Provide advice on Litigation and M&A matters
- Foster client education and relationships with business and general legal colleagues
- Mentoring and assisting with the training of junior colleagues
You’ll Need To Succeed
- At least 6 years of experience in patent drafting and prosecution (worldwide), patent opinion drafting and licensing/agreement work in the chemical/biochemical arts
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited Law School
- Admission to a State Bar
- Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark office
- Degree in chemistry, chemical engineering or biochemistry, or related field
- Previous in-house experience preferred
- Experience utilizing creative and proactive approaches to intellectual property strategies with U.S. and international colleagues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Mature and professional demeanour with a high degree of self-motivation and organization
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every Voice Matters | Global Reach | Life at Unilever | Careers with Purpose | World Class Career Development Programs | Check Out Our Space | Focus On Sustainability
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!